Friday, December 4, 2009

National Museum in Riyadh

Yesterday afternoon (weekend here), I went to the National Museum in Riyadh. Those who know me know that sooner or later I would have to go there...:) And it was great, really worth the 10 saudi riyals (only 2 euro!!!). It gives a very good insight into the history of Saudi Arabia, through as many as 8 exhibition halls. These halls cover the following themes: Man and Universe, The Arabian Kingdoms, the pre-Islamic era, prophet Mohammed's Mission, Islam and the Arab Peninsula, the first and second Saudi State, the unification of the Kingdom, the Hajj and the two Holy Mosques (Mecca and Medina). Each exhibition features different types of antiques, manuscripts, documents and display boards. I was positively surpised by how impartial (for Saudi standards) the presented information was and I will definitely go again. I just went through 5 of the 8 halls, I read everything on display, analyze all maps, etc. How boring does that sound??!! I know, that's why I went alone:)

No comments:

Post a Comment