Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Driving in Riyadh

I've been driving myself in Saudi Arabia for 2 months now and still haven't had an accident, which is a feat considering the circumstances. In this country, women are not allowed to drive and, to be honest, so far it's the country where I've seen the most bad driving!!!
I could have had a driver but I'd rather drive myself, not to be dependant on the driver and, also because I like driving. Just had to get my international driving license. But driving here....man!!! it's the jungle, it's crazy, there are absolutely no rules, the roundabout rules don't apply here, cars swerve from the outer left to the extreme right of four lane roads or vice versa when making a right/left turn (at the very last moment of course), overtaking by the right is the most common thing, crazy speeding, very dangerous moves which cause a lot of accidents, very aggressive driving. But I got used to it very quickly and feel perfectly comfortable driving here:). Also, I bought myself a GPS, but it's as quare city and it's not difficult finding the way here and all the traffic signs are in english as well.

4 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the driving in a little country in Europe starting with the letter 'P'. ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. In that sense Riyadh is not so much different than Taiwan. The scooters here drive like that all the time!..

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!! Riyadh seria el lugar ideal para que yo manejara.... haha, bueno... si es que me permiten manejar... digo.. soy extranjera :P SO... that jungle is for me!!!! hahaha

    por fin, lei todos los post que no habia podido leer, me da mucho gusto que ya te hayas paseado y divertido un rato....

    welcome back to Saudi!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. i used to live in Riyadh...it's a city with insane drivers...u should try mandi lahm and chapsah ^^

    ReplyDelete